THE RDoC PUDDESTER AWARD FOR RESIDENT WELLNESS
Resident Doctors of Canada is pleased to honour those who, with enthusiasm, passion, and proficiency, have contributed to improving resident wellness in Canada. During his term as President and as Wellbeing Chair, Dr. Derek Puddester dedicated himself to rededicating RDoC’s efforts in promoting the wellness of all resident doctors in Canada. The Board has presented this award in honour of his achievements since 2002. Beginning in 2013, the Award has been presented in two categories: Staff and Resident.
Before February 2015, this award was known as the Dr. Derek Puddester CAIR Award for Resident Well-Being.
Staff category: Physicians, including program directors, educators or others; any other individual(s), programs or organizations closely associated with resident wellness in Canada. In situations where an organization is being nominated, please provide a contact name for that organization on the application.
Resident category: Resident doctors registered in any Canadian PGME program. Nominees for the resident categories must have been a resident doctor training in Canada within the past 12 months to be eligible for consideration.
To qualify, nominees must:
- demonstrate a firm commitment to resident wellness through specific actions and initiatives;
- exemplify creativity and leadership in taking action to improve and promote resident wellness; and,
- bring about change that has the potential to result in positive, long term improvement to resident wellness in Canada.
- 2018 – (Staff Physician Category) Dr. Jonathan DellaVedova (Wellness Lead Clinician, Postgraduate Education, Northern Ontario School of Medicine)
- 2018 – (Resident Category) Dr. Jonathan Dean (General Internal Medicine Subspecialty Fellow, University of Saskatchewan)
- 2017 — (Staff Physician Category) Dr. Eric Bartlett (Program Director, Diagnostic Radiology Program at the University of Toronto)
- 2017 — (Resident Physician Category) Dr. Ahmed Taher (PGY-4 Emergency Medicine, University of Toronto)
- 2016 — (Staff Physician Category) Dr. Dianna Louie (Pediatrician at BC Children’s Hospital)
- 2016 — (Resident Physician Category) Dr. Zafrina Poonja (Chief Resident in emergency medicine at the University of Saskatchewan’s College of Medicine)
- 2015 — (Staff Physician Category) Dr. Susan Edwards (Director of Resident Wellness at the University of Toronto)
- 2015 — (Resident Physician Category) Dr. Laura Swaney (PGY-4 in Pediatrics, Dalhousie University)
- 2014 — (Staff Physician Category) Dr. Yves Talbot (Family Physician and University of Toronto DFCM Professor)
- 2014 — (Resident Physician Category) Dr. Kathleen Broad (PGY-4 Psychiatry, University of Toronto)
- 2013 — (Staff Physician Category) Dr. Joanne Todesco (Associate Dean, Post-Graduate Medical Education, University of Calgary)
- 2013 — (Resident Physician Category) Dr. Daisy Liu (PGY-2 Pediatrics, McMaster University)
- 2012 — (Staff Physician Category) Drs Kathryn Dong and Erica Dance (Emergency Medicine Department of the University of Alberta)
- 2012 — (Resident Physician Category) Dr. Amy Robinson (Adolescent Medicine Fellow, Montreal Children’s Hospital)
- 2011 — Dr. Steve Beerman (Site Director for University of British Columbia’s Nanaimo Family Medicine Residency Program)
- 2010 — Dr. Keith Wycliffe-Jones (Program Director, Family Medicine, University of Calgary)
- 2009 — Dr. David Vanderburgh (PGY-2 Family Medicine & Co-Chief Resident Family Medicine NOSM Thunder Bay)
- 2008 — The Alberta Physician and Family Support Program (PFSP)
- 2007 — Dr. François Bourque (President of the FMRQ Resident Wellness Committee)
- 2006 — Dr. Jordan Cohen (Director of Student Affairs in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Calgary)
- 2005 — Mrs. Lois Ross (Executive Director of PAIRO)
- 2004 — Dr. Monica Penner (CAIR Well-being Committee)
- 2003 — Dr. Hanif Chatur (PAR-BC)
- 2002 — Dr. Mike Myers (Clinical Professor in Psychiatry, University of British Columbia)